It’s the third of June (how the year flies), and that means the next fairy-tale scene prompt!
This month’s featured fairy tale over at Fairy Tale Central is:
It’s been one of my favorite fairy tales for most of my life (literally, since I was a toddler), so I’m really looking forward to writing a scene for it.
If you want to re-read the original tale, Andrew Lang’s version can be found HERE.
Not sure how to use the prompt? A few suggestions:
- Combine this prompt/the original story with your favorite fanfic AU prompt. Australian Aladdin? Love triangle trope with the vizier’s son?
- Set it in a world you can expand later with more fairy-tale prompts.
- Set it in the world of one of your current WIPs.
- Choose a historical era at random and set it then.
- To really mix it up, choose a genre at random, one other than fantasy. (Western Aladdin?)
- It DOES NOT have to be a complete short story. Just a scene is fine. The point is to have fun and give yourself permission to play with something new or (if you’ve already retold this story) revisit an old world from a different perspective.
- You DON’T have to write it with an eye toward turning into something longer…but of course if that IS what happens, excellent!
Just take the prompt and write a scene that includes this dialogue. Then come back here and leave your link in the comments. You can still write for it if you don’t have a blog (or tumblr or FB), you just won’t be able to post the link with everyone else.
It’s been absolutely fantastic seeing all of your responses to these fairy-tale prompts. I can hardly wait to see your lineup this month!