A little late this month, but I am still doing a fairy-tale writing prompt!
This one is all thanks to my writing buddy Mirriam Neal. Red Riding Hood is one of her favorite fairy tales, and when I told her I needed prompt inspiration, she came through with flying colors.
You all probably remember how this works, but to any newcomers, welcome! Here’s what you need to know:
- It DOES NOT have to be a complete short story. Just a scene is fine. The point is to have fun and give yourself permission to play with something new or (if you’ve already retold this story) revisit an old world from a different perspective.
- You DON’T have to write it with an eye toward turning into something longer…but don’t hold back from it either.
Just take the prompt and write a scene that includes this dialogue. Then come back here and leave your link in the comments. You can still write for it if you don’t have a blog (or tumblr or FB), you just won’t be able to post the link with everyone else.
Suggestions for using the prompt:
- Set it in the same world as your last month’s/previous prompt scenes.
- Combine it/the original story with your favorite fanfic AU prompt. Cold War era Red Riding Hood? Swiss Family Robinson style Red Riding Hood? Handcuffed together Red and the Wolf or Red and the Huntsman?
- Set it in a world you can expand later with more fairy-tale prompts.
- Set it in the world of one of your current WIPs.
- Choose a historical era at random and set it then. (Silla Korea?)
- To really mix it up, choose a genre at random, one other than fantasy. (Romanesque military fiction Red Riding Hood?)
Many, many thanks to everyone who has been participating! The summer has been insane, and I haven’t been able to read everyone’s scenes yet, but I’m really looking forward to catching up!