Happy 2020 and welcome back to another year of fairy tale scene prompts!
This month’s featured fairy tale over at Fairy Tale Central is one I hadn’t read in a few years, and it was great to go back and reread it and see how much retelling potential it has.
The Snow Queen
The line about ‘the kiss of death’ intrigued me, hence the prompt.
If you want to reread a translation of the original tale, there’s a link HERE.
Need or want inspiration for how to use the prompt?
- Use the same characters/setting/world as any or all of your previous prompts.
- Combine this prompt/the original story with your favorite AU prompt.
- Set it in a world you can expand later with more fairy-tale prompts.
- Set it in the world of one of your current WIPs.
- Choose a historical era at random and set it then.
- To really mix it up, choose a genre at random, one other than fantasy. Urban fantasy? Military fantasy?
- It DOES NOT have to be a complete short story. Just a scene is fine. The point is to have fun and give yourself permission to play with something new or (if you’ve already retold this story) revisit an old world from a different perspective.
- You DON’T have to write it with an eye toward turning into something longer…but don’t hold back either.
Just take the prompt and write a scene that includes this dialogue. Then come back here and leave your link in the comments. You can still write for it if you don’t have a blog (or tumblr or FB), you just won’t be able to post the link with everyone else.